Rusung Job Description
Areas of Responsibility
- Implement the vision of the Dorje Kasung in protecting and serving our teachers, the dharma, and our sangha.
- Guide the Kasung in reflecting the principles of enlightened society as they offer protection.
- Protect the physical property of the Chicago Shambhala Center and the safety and security of persons in the Center
- Ensure that the Shambhala Teachings are presented without distortion or obstruction through programs and activities at the Center.
- Coordinate and plan the activities of the Chicago Kasung Squad in providing protection and service for the:
- Teachings, texts/tapes, classes, and
- Sangha (Safety and security of practitioners at the center, community well-being in consultation with the Desung and the Health and Well-Being Committee, and decorum during teachings)
- Coordinate with International Dorje Kasung, the regional Commander, the regional Kusung officer, and the Regional Special Operations Commander to ensure that the Sakyong, Sakyong Wangmo and members of the Mukpo and Ripa families receive appropriate protection and service when in Chicago or in transit through Chicago.
- Ensure appropriate implementation of the Kasung Policy on Acharya Service
- Maintain primary training and supervision of the kasung squad.
- Provide opportunities for kasung to practice as kasung and manifest the teachings.
- Educate civilians about the role of kasung and welcome new members.
- Nurture kasung both as individuals and as a community of practitioners.
- While maintaining separate accounts and check-writing authority for Kasung funds Work with the Treasurer to develop the Kasung budget.
- Serve on the Center Governing Council as the representative of the Dorje Kasung.
- Serve as the liaison with the larger Kasung mandala.
- Promote awareness of all facets of the mandala and manifest the Kasung teachings in all interactions
The position reports to the Lion Region Commander of the Dorje Kasung.
- The Rusung succession is determined by the Regional and International Commanders of the Dorje Kasung on behalf of the Sakyong.
- The Rusung must be an advanced practitioner who can:
- Manifest the vision of kasung through the practice of meditation in action
- Manifest the qualities of Kasungship and Warriorship, and be able to impart them to the squad and the other members of the Center through training and mentoring.
- Successfully manage the workload of budgeting, scheduling, and so forth attendant upon the position.
- Communicate effectively with the local, regional, and international officers of the Kasung and carry out orders.
- Conscientiously carry out the general and specific orders of the Rusung position.
- Magyel Pomra Encampment experience is preferred.