What is a Meditation Instructor?
We offer free introductory instruction to newcomers and follow-up instruction to other practitioners at open sittings and open houses.
- Not just for “new” meditators, instruction is also recommended as part of our ongoing practice. By becoming a Member of Shambhala Chicago, you can form an ongoing relationship with a meditation instructor where you can talk about your practice.
Depending on a student’s interest and experience, meditation instruction might include:
- Introducing the practice of meditation
- Clarifying the nature and purposes of meditation
- Instruction on working with obstacles to meditation
- Common obstacles to meditation include disheartenment, resistance, procrastination, discursiveness and spacing out.
- The obstacles are well documented in the Shambhala Buddhist teachings—and so are their antidotes.
- Guidance on the path of practice and study. Shambhala presents many opportunities for students to deepen their practice and study
- public meditation sessions,
- weeknight classes,
- weekend programs,
- retreats and assemblies
- Guidance on joining meditation and daily life